Did you Know? There are over 10,000 ant species across the globe.
Yes! You read that right.
Ants are considered America’s top nuisance pest throughout the planet and can be found all year through. They prefer to build nests outdoors and slip inside our homes in search of food. In some cases, they also nest in hard-to-reach places in your home. If you spot a stray ant roaming in your house, don’t take it lightly. The presence of one ant may indicate a hidden infestation of thousands of ants.
Understanding where ants hide can be beneficial in tackling ant infestation. According to a recent survey conducted by the National Pest Management Association (NPMA), around 96% of ants are found in kitchens (96%), and 89% of them are found in bathrooms.
With that said, let’s explore the top 5 ant hangout spots.
• Kitchen: Ants’ love for the kitchen is timeless, and we all know the reason behind it. Apart from the unlimited access to food, the kitchen sink acts as a water source for the ants to survive.
• Bathroom: Ants need water, and areas with excess moisture tend to attract ants, which makes bathrooms a prime location for ant infestation. Some species of ants like carpenter ants prefer damp areas like the bathroom to build nests.
• Basement: Another common invasion area for ants is basements. Ants seek shelter from the extreme weather outside, along with food, warm temperatures, moisture, and a permanent residence nest in the basement, which meets all their needs.
• Bedroom: Ants are always in search of a perfect hideout place. Bedrooms that have an appealing temperature, a lot of furniture as hiding spots, and any source of food invite ant invasions.
• Living Room: Do you host parties in your living room? Well, if you are nodding a yes, it’s no surprise that the spills or crumbs lying on the floor will invite ants to have a small party of their own.
Quick Tip: Always look for a group of ants and follow them to find their colony. Do not follow one ant as it may get tedious. Instead, you can observe a wider group of ants on their way back to the nest.
Do you suspect ant invasion? In that case, tracking them down and eradicating them from the source is the best route to follow. However, finding an ant colony is way more difficult than you think. Ants often disappear into impossible to follow or reach places. This is the point when pest control professionals come into the picture. They know how to track down these ants and eliminate them before they invade your home.
Need a hand in tackling ant infestation?
Finding ant colony invasions is no child’s play. If you are having a tough time locating and eradicate ants, call and seek the help of a professional pest control expert to handle this issue with care and caution.